The Origin of the Incredible Hulk
To permanently save this episode’s MP3 file to your computer or other listening devices, right-click the link below to bring up sub-menu and select “Save Target/Link As…” Pick where you want it to save to, and you’re set.
Look for us on iTunes, or just Download MP3
Fantasy as you like it! The strangest man of all time!! Is he Man or Monster or… is he both? It’s “The Coming of the Hulk” as we look at The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962,) its faithful adaptation on the 1966 The Marvel Super Heroes animated series, plus the 1982 and 1996 takes from two separate series of The Incredible Hulk cartoons. Added value bonus at no additional cost to our treasured listeners: Hulk related commentary, anecdotes, and tunes as part of our biggest show yet! This is the last early episode length audio recorded using the Graphophone system onto cardboard tubes covered in wax as overseen by Alexander Graham Bell himself, so please excuse the low audio quality, awkward chemistry, jokes that miss like a troop run by Major Glenn Talbot, excess of needless recapping rather than essential commentary, and Frank hogging too much of the narration.
Note: We like our language NSFW salty, and there be spoilers here…
- 00:52 Why the Hulk? Fixit, Mac and Frank talk about getting started with the Green Goliath, with emphasis on the run of Peter David and his all-star artists.
- 06:17 “The Coming of the Hulk,” our anti-hero’s first ever comic book story and cartoon, adapted as “The Origin of the Hulk.”
- 16:50 The 1982 animated episode, also called “Origin of the Hulk.”
- 25:59 1996’s cartoon take, a portion of the two-part episode “Return of the Beast.”
- 34:14 Illegal Machine shares his thoughts on the role of the Hulk in the Marvel Universe and his relatively slim relationship with the character’s solo adventures.
- 38:13 The 1978–1982 live action Hulk TV series’ legacy is compared to other super-heroic greats of television, such as Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman.
- 47:14 The Marvel Mail Bag is packed to the gills with commentary on episodes #9-12!
- 1:08:46 The end of the episode. No, really. You hear the 1986 Marvel Productions LTD closing credit music, and that’s it. Just like always.
— Count Drunkula (@BlackCanaryFan) September 25, 2014
— Shaun McLaughlin (@CheapjackShakes) September 28, 2014
— Keith G. Baker (@kgbunc) September 26, 2014
As you can tell, we love a fierce conversation and a pretty picture, so why don’t you socialize with us, either by leaving a comment on this page or…
- Tweet us @rolledspine
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roll through our tumblr
- If this blog won’t let you comment, we’ve got a spare