60 Years of Martian Manhunter – 1955
Three episodes in, we finally cover the debut comics of J’Onn J’Onzz, the Manhunter from Mars. The Batman and Roy Raymond TV Detective stories from Detective Comics #225 are given brief nods before diving into a synopsis of “The Strange Experiment of Dr. Erdel” (01:46). A rather overwrought analysis of this first story of Detective John Jones (05:54) precedes coverage of the second “half” of the origin, the run-of-the-mill mostly standalone tale “The Case of the Magic Baseball” (18:46). Finally, “Martian Morphing Mail” (21:10) has already morphed away from the previous episode’s audio, and is a bit livelier this round. Coming in at a stout 31:24, look for the show to lean back up again now that the heavy lifting of our subject’s introduction is out of the way (and hopefully less painful voice “acting.”)
- Lieutenant Saunders (Profile Page)
- Trigger Tom Taylor (Profile Page)
- Big Bob Michaels (Profile Page)
- Brad Devon (Profile Page)
- The Vast Stadium
We enjoy dialogue on the red planet, so here are our non-telepathic contact options:
- Tweet host Diabolu Frank directly, or probe @rolledspine as a group.
- Email Diabolu
- If the main Idol-Head of Diabolu blog isn’t your thing, try the umbrella Rolled Spine Podcasts.